Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

DNA Typing Technology and Conflicting Conclusions in Individual Results (Mine, specifically)

I might not get a response to my question, from James Lick, as he is more a computer whiz, than a DNA consultant, however it would seem that his analytic program is far more sophisticated than the one(s) implemented by Family Tree DNA (who did my testing, and who seem to have an attitude toward Native Americans -- begs the question: do they, ftDNA, receive government funding?  I'd put money on it).

According to Mr. Lick, ftDNA does an excellent job of ~sequencing samples, technically.  But they are not as reliable in their interpretations or ~analyses of subsequent ~results.

According to Phylotree, it's surmisable that my family's mtDNA should be classified in one of the "X" haplogroup subclades.  It would require further testing (probably including an HVR2 on me, or one of my sisters, one of their children or grandchildren, or one of my children or grandchildren) in order to pinpoint which one.

Keep in mind, that it doesn't really matter to me, which subclade it is classified in, because I didn't do the testing in order to ~prove that I'm matrilineally Cherokee.  I already ~knew that fact. I was simply curious to find out what that would mean in relationship to my actual DNA.  But if I'm only going to encounter harsh and unrelenting opposition and / or harassment for telling the truth as I seek more truth about my identity in the form of more detailed biological facts such as my mtDNA code and classification -- then I certainly will not invest another dime into the venture.

I feel I have enough information now, to at least satisfy my own curiosity.  Knowledge of one's genetic roots can't take the place of diligently written historical records; but the Cherokee didn't keep knowledge written down on paper in file cabinets or electronically, on microchips.  They communicated with one another through the generations, relying on their trustworthiness, perceptual abilities, observation, honesty, and memories.

However, I can now very easily understand why Native Americans are so reluctant to allow themselves to be tested.  Politics and / or bigotry and / or greed over-ride science, on this particular subject (as in so many others, unfortunately).

http://vps1.jameslick.com/dna/mthap/FAQ.html
http://www.phylotree.org/tree/subtree_N.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment